Monday, June 29, 2009

Darcy Down Under Goes to College

In order for this blog to make sense, I need to give you some background information that I have been meaning to share for a couple of weeks now: Last week, I started a new part-time job at Trinity College of the University of Melbourne, planning their summer schools. I'm working a couple of days a week, and I really like my supervisor, who is extremely flexible. She's also new, which is nice, as we have been figuring things out together.

Anyway, today was the first day of one of our summer schools (well, it's really the winter school, but who's focusing on semantics?). Last week Sue (my boss) and I were thinking of ways to break the ice with the kids who are going to be coming in, and she thought it would be a good idea to bring Darcy in as a conversation starter of sorts. So just like that, Darcy got through Admissions and was accepted into Trinity College, no SAT scores or essays required.


Will and I spent all day yesterday preparing Darcy for her first day of school. We prepped her on current events (Michael Jackson's tragic demise) and economic trends (global crisis). Finally, she took a bath and was all scrubbed down and ready to meet the new kids!


Getting pretty for her first day of school


Out the door!

After taking a (very traumatic) first ever escalator ride, getting on a big train, and being stared at by 3 piece suits, we made it to the University. Darcy fit in well with the other kids and settled into her new office quite nicely.

Darcy in her new office

After and hour or so she was ready to meet the students and begin her ice breaking function. She performed admirably even allowing teenage girls to squeal and chase her around the room. Once the lectures began, Darcy curled up in my lap, tired out by the excitement (and the squealing girls). Even Darcy can get too much attention. At seeing the seemingly calm puppy, everyone commented on what a well behaved dog I had. It was a day of firsts in more than one respect!

Though Darcy slept through her first ever class, she still contributed the occasional "smell" to the lecture. It's OK, though, because everyone always blames it on the dog!

After all the excitement she needed a real nap, so we went back to the office and she turned my desk into her own personal den.


Taking a page out of the George Costanza handbook

Overall, today was very successful and Darcy did a great job in her role as demure and cute little dog on her first day of college, and in fact, secured an open ended invitation to return whenever she wants to. It will probably stand until she comes back and lets her sleepy time flatulence loose for all my co-workers to smell.



No comments:

Post a Comment