Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Labour Day Weekend in the Yarra Valley

Will driving on the left side of the road
Kim petting a kangaroo
Us being artistic

Vineyard at the bed and breakfast we stayed at


This past weekend was Labour (with a "u") Day weekend here in Australia. Will and I took advantage of the holiday to take a trip to the Yarra Valley. The Yarra Valley is known for their various wineries as well as an indigenous wildlife sanctuary. Among the other firsts this weekend-- first vacation, first winery trip, first time to see a dingo-- it was also our first time to drive a car on the left side of the road (ahem, I should not say "our," I should say "Will's," because there was no way on earth I was trying that-- especially since it was a manual). Maybe Will will bless us with an entire post concerning this experience.

The Yarra Valley was hit pretty hard by the bushfires. In fact, from the window of the bed and breakfast we stayed at you could see where the fires scorched the hillside, stopping merely a couple of kilometers short of the vineyard. A lot of the wineries lost their crops to smoke damage, however very few of them were actually burned.

The sanctuary was pretty interesting. We saw tasmanian devils, dingos, kangaroos, koalas, wombats, snakes, lizards, emus, duck billed platypus, and wallabies, among other things.
If you want to check out the pictures of the wildlife and the rest of the weekend, here's a link:

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are seeing the beauty of Aussie land. And I completely agree with you about Cricket. I still don't get it after 20 years! And Aussie Rules? Couldn't agree with your assessment more--what Rules?

    ReplyDelete