For those who think the title of this blog is a misprint, let me clarify – Australian Rules Football, or Aussie Rules, or simply “The Footy,” is far and away the favored (side note, my spell check is telling me I’ve misspelled “favored”… apparently it favors “favoured”) sport in Melbourne. And since Kim knows nothing of sports, I thought I’d take over this part of the blogging.
The Australian Football League (AFL) is the sport’s governing body and consists of sixteen teams around
From what I can tell, “The Footy” seems to be a combination of American Football and “The Rugby.” (In fact both participating punters in the NFC championship game were former Aussie Rules players, thus Ben Graham of the Cardinals became the first Aussie to play in the Super Bowl.)
Here’s a typical exchange between two Melburnians... notice the terminology:
“So, are you into the
“It’s great, but I really love the Footy!”
“What about the Gridiron (American Football)?”
“Well, I love to watch the Super Bowl, but I don’t know what the hell is going on! And why do they wear all those pads?”
Honestly, I’m surprised the connection between Aussie Rules players and “the Gridiron” wasn’t made sooner. The way these guys punt the ball through the goal posts is uncanny, and being a punter in the NFL comes with the added benefit of having people block for you so that you’re not constantly getting creamed. Don’t get me wrong, American Football is the greatest sport in the world, and most every other player is constantly in danger of getting creamed, but the punter has more or less a free pass.
Just a catastrophe waiting to happen...
So, what are the rules of this most unique sport? Well, despite the name of the game itself implying that there actually are rules, I can’t seem to figure out what they are. It seems you can advance the ball however you want, the opposing team can tackle you however they want, and you can try and kick the ball to a team mate or trough the goal posts whenever you want. Maybe in a subsequent post I can provide slightly more detail. Or, if I never understand it, I’ll just copy and paste the Wikipedia page.
These goal posts remind me a little bit of what I expect a quidditch field to look like
Stay tuned for the next episode: Cricket… another sport I don’t understand, barely seems like a sport, but still has an unnaturally large following!


No comments:
Post a Comment