Monday, March 16, 2009

Back to School

I’ve gone back and forth for awhile about this, but I finally decided to take the plunge. I signed up for a novel writing course. And tonight is my first class.

I’m excited about this for several reasons. First, it will be my first real extended interaction with other Australians (besides people who I am essentially paying to talk to me—waiters, sales people, hotel managers, eyebrow waxers), and I am very much looking forward to that!


Side Note: Yesterday I found myself wandering the streets as what was intended to be a short stroll to a café for a cappuccino turned into a three-hour-long walk, just me and my iPod. I just kept walking and walking and walking (yes, a Forest Gump reference would be appropriate here). Point being, I could totally envision myself turning into that crazy old woman who roams the streets and goes home to a house full of cats… and Will. So yes, this class is a very good thing.


Second, I’ve realized over the past few weeks that I really have no clue how to write a novel, despite my desperate attempts. Yeah, I’ve taken a good stab at it. And I’ve written some decent stuff. But it just doesn’t seem to flow, and the ideas, while one minute seem nice and cohesive, really don’t work together in the broader picture.


For the longest time I thought that any sort of writing should just come easily and naturally to anyone who really deserves to be a professional in the craft. Taking courses to perfect it seems kind of like a cop-out. Like you’re admitting that you don’t have enough raw natural talent, that you’re not good enough on your own.


Well, if that’s the case, then I am officially admitting that I am not good enough. Because guess what I found out? Writing is hard. And I'm not ready to give up… yet. Maybe if the professor throws me out after reading the first thing I write, telling me that I would be better off scrubbing toilets then trying to make it as a writer. Maybe then I’ll take the hint and lay aside the dream.


But who knows? Maybe I’ll learn a few things. Maybe it will be the productive environment necessary to help me along the last few steps that I can’t seem to make on my own. Maybe it will unlock that little door in my head where I keep all of my ideas and make them start spilling out.


Like I said, who knows? That’s the beauty of it.

1 comment:

  1. Writing a blog isn't at all like writing a novel, I'm sure. But it is an avenue for putting words out there for others to read. Keep writing wherever you have a chance. And taking a class is not a cop out or an admission. We all need help. Voce e' sabia usar o tempo assim. Impare bem e compartilhe com o pai quelo que posso aproveitar para o meu projeto.

    ReplyDelete