Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day in the City

Yarra River



Kim and Will on the Yarra River



More Yarra River


This Saturday Will and I decided that it was time to do some touristy things in Melbourne. We started the day off at Borders reading a variety of books-- I unfortunately have the maturity of a thirteen year old and picked up a book called Vampire Academy, and got so into that I sat in Borders for five hours until I finished it. At least I had enough pride not to pay for the thing. Will also ran back and forth between the book store and our house to wait for a new refrigerator to be delivered. Alas, Gimpy is no more. He has been replaced by a taller, more strapping edition-- Roger the Refrigerator.
Anyway, after our date with the bookstore, we set out on our Melbourne exploration. We immediately decided we were hungry, but nothing really sounded that good--until we ran into McDonalds. What's a better way to start out a day as a tourist than eating lunch at the symbol of American culture. This was only our second encounter with this particular fast food establishment, so we're not doing too bad.

From McDonald's we, caught a tram to the National Gallery of Victoria to see a Bugatti exhibit, along with a variety of other famous art. It was a very cool museum-- and free! What could be better? I'm trying to think of other commentary about this particular place, but unfortunately Will and I aren't that knowledgeable about art history. Considering this is one of the only free places in Melbourne, maybe we'll learn a little more.


Exterior of National Gallery of Victoria



Bugatti car in the exhibit


The museum closed at 5:00, and from there we walked to the Yarra River, which is very similar to the River Walk in San Antonio. Restaurants, river cruises, and even a gondola (whoa, flashbacks of Venice... this guy was a trooper for gondoliering all this way from Europe) lined the walk. It was exceptional. We walked straight to the Crown Casino, what was once the largest casino in the world and is still the largest in the southern hemisphere. It was crazy--just as nice as Vegas. Of course, Will and I were rather lame and couldn't even figure out how to play the slots. Since when was it hard to lose your money in a casino?? Once we figured it out, though, there was no holding us back. We beat the house, and doubled our money--what was once one dollar, grew to a whole family of two dollars. That's right, baby--watch out for the lucky Stones. We also enjoyed all of the signs in the casinos cautioning gamblers to always stay in control of their impulses. They were everywhere (literally attached to each of the machines and tables) and just presented such a striking contrast of irony. I tried to take a picture but then was told that no cameras are allowed. I still managed to sneak one in (it was too good to pass up), although it's kind of at a distance. Pay close attention to the sign above the man playing the slot maching that says, "In the end, the machines will win."


In the End, the Machines Will Win

The hotel was gorgeous--they had spitting fountains and Disney music playing everywhere. I felt like a princess.

After the casino, we grabbed dinner at a local restaurant and watched the sun set over the Yarra River. Then we booked it back to Borders (no pun intended) so I could finish the second book in the Vampire Academy series! (note to readers: I am not actually recommending this series; it is more of a testament to my easily addicted personality and love of young adult books... and vampires)

What a great day...

No comments:

Post a Comment